Some Ads.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Classmates.com is a scam in my opinion

I don't know about you, but I don't appreciate the trickery at classmates.com. You've seen the ads..if you have never tried it, here's what to expect:

You go there and see that a number of names are available of people you went to highschool with. You go to click on a name and it allows you to send that person a message.

Hey! What's that name there... That's my old neighbor I grew up with! I'll send her a message! At no point was I made aware that in order for my message to be read, either her or I had to pay these extortionists a $23 a year subscription. Well I sent that message months ago and now I get a notification she wants to read it, but neither of us are 'Gold' members so she can't actually see the message they let me send. NEAT! What a great system! Bait n Switch for the web is what this is.

The email you sent can't be read, Jeffrey.
Go Gold

Let friends read it!
Activate your Gold membership now.
Once you're Gold, friends can read the 1 message you've sent. Even better! As long as you're a Gold member, it's free for them to reply, so you might get a friendly note back.

You'll also get access to these Gold perks:



See guestbook names

Gab on message boards

Plan events and reunions


Bite.
My.
Ass.

So I'll never see what my old neighbor said because there is no way I'm paying $23 for less than 1k of data I actually care about. So Crista, if you are ever reading this, sorry, but that's just jacked and I'm not going to support that model of extortion. Unethical really.

These people work for Ziff Davis or something?

6 grammar cops:

Brian J said...

I are ur grammar cop...


--Check ur damn email
~Hatake/Brian

Amy said...

I have an unsubstatiated theory that Classmates.com has people post false posts to you guestbook in order to trick you into subscribing. They contacntly send me messages saying, "Someone posted to your guestbook". So finally, I signed up for 1 month to see what was going on. Seriously, I had never heard of one of the posters and the messages and names seemed fairly generic. Seems like a scam to me! Avoid Classmates.com like the plague if you ask me!

Anonymous said...

that's not the big problem.. what's even moreso wrong is if you have an account, make it possible for connections and then classmates contacts you about someone trying to reach you, has left a message or something on your profile THEN they give you the links... not indicating what's to come.. then you are redirected to a secure payment page.

they can't CONTACT you about information then stop you in your tracks and try to get money out of you so you can obtain that information..

that's exortion!

they are trapping information and driving you to sources to obtain financial resolutions from you.

i think classmates, reunion and all those 'people search' sites better start rethinking their ideas...

it's entrapement also.


i have people who are trying to genuinly contact me.. for reasons that are probably very important.. but due to time and distance.. we've lost ways to connect...

fraud... i can't see how so many are getting away with this and even more are coming up with ways to embrace it!

Unknown said...

AGREED, TOTAL SCAM....
Have gold membership never found a single person I know!!!!!

Michael

Unknown said...

I am upset because I FINALLY had my email address almost junk-mail free!
Now, because of classmates.com I am once again, inundated with JUNK EMAILS!!!!!!
No matter how many time I request to be removed and forward the emails to their 'abuse" addresses, they still keep coming!

SCREW THIS!!!

Alyosha said...

your "old neighbor" didn't say anything. It's a scam. They get people to sign up to see that it's a scam.

There have been numerous class-action suits won against these practices at this company, and STILL they continue to do it.