Some Ads.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I'm like a sandwich, a sandwich for the INSANE.

This is a followup post, sorta, to the one I wrote yesterday.... And I guess this will prove how nerdy I am and leave you wondering how much time I have on my hands. (The truth is, I won't be able to get anything done if I don't get this off my chest. It's a mental condition.) I'll lay out the ingredients:

I haven't talked much about Jott, but I'll briefly describe it as a way to send email using your voice. You call a 800#, speak the name of the person you want to Jott (or say 'Myself') and then speak your message. Your message is transcribed by computer and then emailed or text messaged to the person or person's phone. As added insurance against bad transcription, it sends the person a link to the original audio.

You may have seen in a few past posts that I was trying to Jott directly to my blog. That worked, and is kinda cool but barely useful since Jott is designed for short messages. To do it, I setup a Jott contact with the "email-to-post" address. When I call in, I say Blogger and whatever I say shows on the blog.

But like I said, thats barely useful. Like I might use it at a party sometime to divert people from striking up a conversation with me and have them talk to my blog. But, what I am finding is useful is having a 30boxes contact setup. Now since 30boxes doesn't have a special personalized email-in address it would be hard for them to know who the Jott was from (it comes across as notify@jott.com).... But this is where the wonderful Gmail comes in. Because Gmail allows YouEmailName+SomeWordHere@gmail.com, I can set up a filter in Gmail to automatically forward any message sent to jeffdiogenes+MySecret30BoxesWord@gmail.com to add@30boxes.com. Now 30boxes knows who it's from.

I seriously didn't expect at this point for 30boxes to be able to pick the actual content out from the rest of the email, but Oh My God, it does.

So now, imagine me on I-75 dutifully trying not to get killed while driving:
  • Call Jott -> "Who do you want to Jott?"
  • Say 30boxes -> "Beeeeeep"
  • Say "Some Stupid Event, Next Tuesday at 4pm"
And it's magically on my calendar. On the right day, at the right time. Freakin easy.

Overkill? I guess the perspective depends on if you are on my side of I-75 while I'm trying to enter a calendar reminder before I forget it, on my PocketPC, with a stylus, at, 70+, miles, per, hour....

By the way, I also leave myself stikkits the same way. At some other point I may post about this: www.stikkit.com, but I think I have confused you all enough for one day.

5 grammar cops:

heliopath said...

that is awesome. well done.

Josh said...

Mind blowing, yet incredibly useful.
That's a nifty capture device you have created.

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed. Now, if we could send tweets to Twitter in a similar manner, I would be all set.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a guy integrate Jott with Vitalist. Try that for a combination! Jott is going to go big i tell ya..especially since they've sign a 4.5Mil deal to expand!

chrispancho said...

sorry....its 5.4 Million! haha